Board index Energy Harvesting

Energy Harvesting

No Current

Using the MFC for Energy Harvesting Applications

Moderator: TPD

No Current

Postby razarafique » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Dear Sir/Madam,
I purchased two MFC P2 Type, along with the CL-50 conditioner. When I am testing them by bending them I am getting voltage output but no current. I even inserted resistor, but still, I am just getting voltage and no current. I am measuring current and voltage via multimeter. I think I fail to understand some things provided on the website. :roll:
And also, I would like to know, how can I measure the strain that is induced in the MFC when it bends. Thank you.
razarafique

Re: No Current

Postby TPD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:55 pm

It appears to me that you just bend the MFC, not being attached to any structure?
Just bending the MFC will induce almost no strain and therefore little or no charge.
Please watch the CL-50 video herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Q2Erwuolw.
It also shows the Cantilever, the MFC P2 is attached to.
If measuring with a multi-meter and assuming the MFC is properly strained, you can connect a 10kOhm resistor and measure the current through the resistor (µA). The multi-meter might not be fast enough to register the current though. Better for initial measurements before connecting the CL-50 is a bridge rectifier with a 22µF Capacitor connected to the DC side. Then you can measure the increase in voltage with the multi meter over the C.
TPD
Smart Material Support Team
---------------------------
"That's not right, it's not even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli, 1945 Nobel Laureate - Physics.
TPD

Postby razarafique » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Thank you for your answer. I would also like to know three more things:
1. I have two structures, one steel, and one thick flexible plastic, as shown in this picture. Which one should I use to test MFC. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 91243.html

2. I do not have all the materials required to attach the MFC to the structure. Is there any simple method to attach MFC to the structure.

3. I didn't understand about the enable pin in the CL-50 conditioner. How can I use it?

Kind Regards
razarafique

Postby TPD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 am

1) The plastic sheet will not work, it appears to be too soft. So it is steel (< 0.5mm thickness) or you buy a 0.5 - 1mm FR4 (used in printed circuit boards, a glass fiber composite) which is available from many electronic supply vendors.

Or you buy a complete assembled cantilever from Smart Material as shown in the video.

2) You are not able to acquire an epoxy glue? Then it will become difficult. It requires a thin bonding agent to adhere the MFC to your structure.

3) Please leave the enable just open. It is only important for more advanced operations when you need to discharge all onboard storage.
TPD
Smart Material Support Team
---------------------------
"That's not right, it's not even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli, 1945 Nobel Laureate - Physics.
TPD

Return to Energy Harvesting

User Control Panel

Login

www.macrofibercomposite.com